Subscribe in a reader

Monday, March 9, 2009

My Nation's Capital


After being in Washington D.C. for an entire weekend, and one whole week day, I have came to two conclusions. 1) It's officially my second favorite city in America (The first being San Francisco, and the old second being New York City). 2) I would be willing to do the necessary work to move here, live here and survive here. It's a city where Congressmen meet dancing transvestites. Where a hot dog place allows only President Obama and Bill Cosby to eat for free. Where people make me feel so at home by asking me for directions, and I sadly tell them I have no clue, "but I want to learn!". 
Today was a very typical touristy day for me (and for my week-long roommates cousin, Michael). We exit the metro at Union Station, (the very organized, easy and clean metro might I add), and start at the Capitol Building. After spending a total of five seconds ooh-ing and aah-ing, we move on. "There's the Lincoln Memorial!" Michael disagrees with me. "Look, Michael. I've been here, and you haven't." "No, Irem. It's on the other side of the Monument. There isn't even the reflecting pool." I feel I'm right; it's a curse of mine, really. We head towards the "Lincoln Memorial" look-a-like. It's the Supreme Court. He asks for an apology. I ask for more respect for showing him the building where people make decisions for him. 
Next: Library of Congress. He wants to steal the Constitution, as if he was Nicolas Cage. Instead, he settles on coffee stained paper with a copy of the Constitution written on it. 
Next: Break. (There were lots of these)
Next: Botanical Gardens. Perfect timing; there was an Orchid exhibit. The old man at the entry was the nicest greeter I've ever met. Ok ok, I'm comparing him to Walmart workers. Poor old man was probably volunteering. "I see you have a camera! I'm sure you will enjoy our Orchid exhibit because, well, they are Orchids." 
Next: Michael and I headed towards the Monument, taking a lunch break halfway through. (It is an entire mile from the Capitol to the Monument, mind you. He entertained himself by criticizing my decision to not waste time reading Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books. I smoked cigarettes.
There is just so much to tell. To make a long story short, after finally finding the Lincoln Memorial, asking a guy where the White House is (doh!), having to go out of our way as not to disrupt the filming of Salt (starring Angelina Jolie!!! OMG OMG), and finally ending our day at Dupont Circle, I have fallen in love. A whole new kind of love that has nothing to do with my previous love blog. But I must admit, for the world to hear (and by hear, I mean read) D.C. made love to me today, and I am hooked. 

2 comments:

  1. So, I guess there is only one thing left for me to do then huh? Fall in love with Columbus, Ohio (mid point between Chicago and DC, sorta)
    I am so glad you are having a great time babe. I laughed out loud reading ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete