Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Network: It's worth the work.

I met a very interesting man on Monday morning (at 7a.m.) He goes by the name, Tom Britt, and he publishes AtGeist (atgeist.com if you are interested). He plans on launching an AtNoblesville publication, and an AtFishers publication. The more I talked to this guy, the more I decided that I wanted to start a publication of my own. He informed me that while I know about the editorial side of a publication, I haven't a clue about how important it is to sell ads. Ok, ok. I know how important it is, but I don't know how to be successful at it. Guess what? He's going to teach me how! I mean, if I can sell portraits that are overpriced (no offense Prestige, but yeah...you can get a 16x20 on mpix.com for about $15) then surely I can sell ads! 

This all came about because of this business class that I reluctantly signed up for. A Ball State alum came to talk to us about how he got where he is today (selling loans to businesses). So, when he found out that I was in the journalism department, he said, "I know a guy you might be interested in talking to." After class, I waited in the long line to talk to him. We exchanged business cards, and I called Tom the next day. It's amazing...the unexpected yet delightful things that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment