Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Science advisor says Earth is overpopulated

I wanted to talk about April Fool's Day, but I chose this instead:

The BBC had an interview with Nina Fedoroff, science advisor to Hilary Clinton. In the article Fedoroff explains that Earth's population, which is at about 6.5 billion, is increasing too rapidly for the planet to handle. The BBC reported that China's population sits at 1.33 billion, while the USA is at about 306 million!! (But it's all in the article)

What I am hearing is this: When Fedoroff said "the planet can't support many more people," and stressed the importance of watching over our water supplies, I thought of my WWIII theory. With tension growing around the world, and scientists like Fedoroff saying we need to start paying attention to our water, a war is inevitable.** If there is a war, I think we all know what countries won't be siding with America (Let's see. There's Venezuela, they're dangerously close, Cuba, they're dangerously closer, North Korea, China, etc. Never England, but I must say, when I was studying abroad in London, my friends and I asked a man sitting on the bus what he thought of America. His response: "The world's greatest enemy." aand that was the end of that.)

I am reluctant to touch on the Middle Eastern countries. That part of the world is so messed up right now, and Obama thinks the best thing to do is leave Iraq and start in Afghanistan. He probably only thinks this is a good idea because Americans were asking Bush why we weren't in Afghanistan to begin with, but now...it's not such a good idea. Come on, Obama. Seriously. But Israel, the Palestinians, Iran: not gonna go there. I will say, though, that I don't see Turkey picking sides with America on this one. Sure, they want to be a part of the EU. Sure, they want to see themselves as "held together" as America and Europe. But they're not. And the idea of a Kurdistan being created, and the Kurds will want the more profitable piece of Turkey, is enough for the Turkish government to say "Nope. See you on the battle ground, America."

So, there you have it. My WWIII theory. Not entirely the most intelligent thing you have read, I am sure, but nevertheless, with tension growing and water diminishing, countries will soon run out of options and Clinton will run out of "peace talk" ideas.

** Everything I say in this blog is completely and 100% my own thoughts. I hope things don't turn out this way, and I hope Turkey and the United States will be best friends forever without US walking all over Turkey, which Turkey tends to let them do from time to time. But what are best friends for, right? 

2 comments:

  1. Don't be such a pessimist honey, one of these years/decades/centuries people will learn from past mistakes and prove that not only the insane get elected to high office. They will do things differently so they actually get different results. Let's hope it will happen in your lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the problem we have at hand can not be explained with only saying"oh, there are too many people on earth."
    On his book "Collapse" Jared Diamond talks more about the gap between people's needs and resources, where people increase their numbers geometrically (2,4,8,16,32...) , we can only increase our resource output arithmetically (1,2,3,4,5...). And I am curious why Dr. Fedoroff does not talk about how we are polluting our own waters and make them undrinkable in the first place, or how we deforest and overgraze the land and destroy the amount of agricultural land...

    ReplyDelete